| Doing Business Abroad
|By Terri Morrison|
© Copyright 2004, All Rights Reserved
- The traditional greeting between Saudi men: grasp right hands, place left
hands on the other's right shoulder and exchange kisses on each cheek.
- Saudi men may choose to shake hands with Western women.
- Use titles. King Fahd bin Abdul-Aziz al Saud's title is King. His given
name is Fahd. Bin Abdul-Aziz is a patronymic meaning "son of
Abdul-Aziz." Al-Saud is the name of the royal family.
- An appointment is rarely private. Expect your visit to be delayed and
interrupted by phone calls, other visitors, etc.
- Friday is the Muslim holy day. The work week runs Saturday through
- You must have a Saudi contact-sponsor, who will sound out the opinions of
decision makers before you meet with them. Choose your contact wisely, since
you are not permitted to change sponsors.
- Alcohol and pork are prohibited, and eating is done with the right hand